Forum OpenACS Q&A: deleting and recreating users

Collapse
Posted by Vince T on
I'm using OACS4-5b1 on postgres.

When I try to delete a user the user list updates properly (but
deleted users do not). When that user tries to log in, the
registration page appears, but trying to register fails. I also
cannot register the user manually through "add user".

How do I go about allowing a user to re-register? I think this is
important as an admin may accidentally delete a user and I can't
simply ask that person to change his email address.

I've updated to the latest cvs checkout but have not done anything to
the data model.

I think I saw this question posed before but had no responses.

Thanks!

Collapse
Posted by MaineBob OConnor on

I am not *yet* using OACS4-5... I'm an OACS 3.x user. This idea may be helpful in solving the 4-5 problem. One design change I made to the user delete routine was to change the email address to:

set email "$user_id_$email"
# Example:  1234_bob@rocnet.com

This allows us to keep deleted users in the DB yet allow one to re-register with the same email address. Why do we keep deleted users in the db you ask? So we can continue to run stats on our user community... Joined in June, deleted in December etc...

-Bob

Collapse
Posted by Vince T on
Thanks Bob, great tip, I was able to recreate that user's profile.

I understand that we have to keep historical information of users, in fact I need this. I was just hoping that the re-registration would work because your solution above will not carry over all the user's historical data. Maybe there should also be a re-activate option (allong with ban, delete, require verification, etc) for admins so we can control deleted users who keep trying to re-register.

BTW, a strange behavior, if a user is deleted, and he tries to re-register, he gets access to the system again after registration. If he was not taken off group memberships which allow permissions, he is able to access those modules. But when he logs out and in again, he is again prompted to register.

anyway, thanks again.

Collapse
Posted by Rafael Calvo on
Vincent,

could you post the patch, so the bug is fixed in 4.5?
I had the problem before but didn't get around to do anything about it.

rafael