Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Status of the Calendar module?

Collapse
Posted by Sondre Bjørnebekk on
Hi Ben, thanks for your quick response!

We have actually changed[1] the meaning of the calender item to be a straight many to many mapping between a event and calendar before reading your posting. This way the CI is no longer an acs_object and event becomes the (even more) central entity. We might add specializations of event later on.

We're probably also adding a specialized party called resource which will give us some support for sheduling directly via the mapping from parties to events.

I'll guess I'll run head on into the perfomance problems for now and then try wrestling with oracle indexes (and maybe app.layer caching, in our case Java) to speed things up after having tried to build something on top of the model.

For timespan/intervals the version of the pl/sql that I tested always creates an extra copy of every interval it uses for some reason (it is "documented" as being the app's responsibility -- I don't see any reason for doing it in the first place, however).

On the CVS-question:  Which module contains the most current version of calendar?

I'll try to post any experiences while working on it here if it is of any value to you guys.

-S-

[1] - On the drawing board, CI replaced with a 'eventcalendarmap'