Forum OpenACS Q&A: Hosting - yet again.

Collapse
Posted by Mostly Anonymous on
I'm filing this under evangelism, since 'venting' isn't a category.
Apologies for the anonymous posting, but I need to vent for a minute.

A community I recently joined to has decided that it is time to
update their current website (very true).  To my dismay, the decision
has been made to build another static site.

This is a community that (at least in my mind) could really benefit
from OACS.  News needs to be posted, contact information needs to be
available, individual groups need intra-netty features, etc.  And the
ability to DISCUSS and INTERACT should appeal to this community.  But
these features are judged by at least some members of the committee
to be too much work for a volunteer group.

And since I'm a hobbyist (with multiple oACS sites) in a group with
professionals, my opinion that launching a dynamic site is not
actually difficult isn't going to get a bunch of play.

There might be some hope of a "Let's build this as mostly static
site, but we can have forums and news" approach.  And as the dynamic
features were appreciated, more could be added.  Except for one
problem.  [Drumroll please]  Hosting.

There are tons of hosting choices for static sites or sites with
PHP/MySQL, including hosts allowing up to 10GB transfer/month for $18-
25.  The service is probably dubious, and I'm sure you're sharing
with tons of other sites, but is sure sounds good on paper.  (Of
course if all the sites actually USE 10GB/month, the host is going
out of business in a hurry.)

And then there's openACS.  To paraphrase a community member
(apologies - I forget who): There's the $3 option (self hosting via
DSL) and the $300 option, and not much in between.

I don't want to bash on hub.org or the sites that do hosting for
small oACS sites.  A small, low-traffic site could spend $30/month or
so, which I think is very reasonable.  The problem is that if I try
to compare oACS hosting with the "up to 10GB/month" transfer non-oACS
hosting option, oACS looks lousy.  10GB/month would put us up over
$300 on hub.org.  Of COURSE we're not going to do 10GB/month.  But
the idea that you CAN with a non-oACS host is a stumbling point.

The other option, running DSL to the building is still not cheaper
than the $20/month price point.

So I'd welcome some suggestions.  How do you convince a group of the
value of a dynamic site, especially in the face of higher costs?

Collapse
Posted by Reuven Lerner on
At least half of my initial meeting with clients is spent describing why a dynamic site is superior to a static one.  Most of my clients think that "dynamic" means "flashy"; they haven't ever contemplated having all of their data linked together inside of a database.

In some cases, I lose: One client (for whom I do a lot of sysadmin work) decided not to go with me for their new Web site because I don't have a graphic designer on my staff, and I'm now (once again, thankfully) a one-man shop as opposed to a larger company.  I kept trying to convince the woman in charge that putting up a static site with PHP Phorum is very nice, but what happens when they want to add e-commerce?

At the other extreme, a client chose to work with me because he's known me for years, and because I told him how much I can do for how little money.  Only after I was hired did he decide to sit down and look at OpenACS -- and his mind was blown open by the possibilities.  He immediately ordered a copy of Philip's book, and will get back to me soon with ideas regarding how he wants development to move forward.  What was going to be a simple site with forums for teachers and students in a network of elementary schools will now become an online community that everyone can be proud of.

So the philosophical issues are definitely difficult to overcome, and I spend a lot of time describing the possibilities and how important it is that the applications have a unified underlying data model.  (This isn't always important, of course, which is why I use Zope and mod_perl for many projects that aren't appropriate for OpenACS.)

But then, as you point out, we get to the issue of hosting.  Many of my clients have their own permanent Internet connection, and those who don't are welcome to colocate in my office for a pretty small charge.  And when that doesn't work, hub.org or a similar facility is just fine for most of them.

What do I tell those people who compare $20/month for PHP and MySQL with the dramatically higher charges associated with OpenACS?  First, I remind them that comparing PHP with OpenACS is an apples-to-oranges comparison, since one is a programming language and the other is an entire Web application framework with working, integrated programs that are developed by a community, rather than just me (or someone else).  If they want to go and develop their own software, then that's fine -- but it'll cost them more in the long run, and give them less flexibility.

Having my own frame relay connection is definitely useful when convincing clients to go with OpenACS (and me); if you have more than one or two clients interested in using OpenACS, then you might want to consider doing the same.

Collapse
Posted by Patrick Giagnocavo on
I don't know where the "$30 or $300" conundrum comes from. (disclaimer:  my company, Zill.Net, does both shared server and managed server hosting of OpenACS, at $79.95 and $175 per month respectively).

I have customers with decent ecommerce setups, nonprofits that get lots of  hits and do bulkmail, and other commercial sites all running OpenACS - none of which go over 10GB of traffic in a month.

The only site I ever had that got close to 10GB was one that got slashdotted, and had a 1MB file for downloading as its main attraction.

If they already have a site, the question is, how much traffic do they get now?  It is unlikely that an OpenACS site, even with forums, email sending, etc. would double their current traffic.

Collapse
Posted by Stephen . on
I saw rackshack.net advertising a 1.8GHZ Athlon with 1GB memory and a 40GB disk with zero setup charge for $100 US per month a couple of weeks back.  It's not $20 per month, but neither is it $300.  You might want to use such a machine for the sites you already run, and charge this non profit $50 for hosting.

If you want the group to go with ACS it sounds like you'll have to show them how easy it is by demonstrating the sites you've already built, and put to rest their fears that it will be too much work for volounteers (i.e. them) because somebody who knows better (i.e. you) will take care of it.

Good luck.

Collapse
Posted by David Cohen on
I've said it before and I'll say it again: there ought to be a page on this site, openacs.org, where outfits hosting OpenACS can be listed (or, better, list themselves) their services and their pricing. Might be nice to have the "detail page" for each service be comment-enabled.

If nothing else, it would save everyone time by eliminating the "hey, where can I find a cheap place to host my OpenACS?" site questions.

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on

If you look for a hosted server with lots of bandwith, you might also end up at "1und1" (www.1und1.com/hosting), german based hosting company. Euro 49 (roughly $45) per month for a Celereon 1.2GhZ, 256MB, 40GB server including 40GB of traffic.

If you only want to have a website that uses OpenACS but have no motivation to execute SSH, thats a different story. Is anyone out there offering SiteWideAdmin access to an OpenACS installation? Things that jump into my mind:

• What is the risk of crashing all services on a server, if you only can modify .adp pages?
  • Furthermore, is it really necessary to change any code files to run a decent website for your own (handling the style of the website via CSS and stuff like that).
  • Is Postgres capable of keeping track of a quota for one database (or what is the consequence if you enforce a hard quota on the user directory and let the postgres database run on it)
Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
David, you're right of course about how it would be nice to list a
number of places that provide hosting. The issue of course is
who is going to do it?

Perhaps an easier way to do it would be to have a link
somewhere on the openacs.org homepage to a bboard thread,
or a file in file-storage, or something like that.

Collapse
Posted by David Cohen on
Wouldn't this be a fairly simple thing to set up? You have one page that has summary records and when you click on one summary record you get the detail record. Perhaps it should be moderated so entries get a look at a moderator before they get accepted (moderator gets an email, clicks a "yes" or "no" link). There'd also be an "add new" page, a "delete/modify" page, etc.

Seems to me that you could take something like the room-reservation system and turn it into this.

Or, as you say, it could be done even more simply. Even a static HTML page that someone (or a few people) would be responsible for would work--that person, or persons, would get email sent to mailto:acshosts@openacs.org (or some other alias) and could just add/modify/delete entries as appropriate. Even if it kept up in a fairly desultory fashion, it would be better than nothing.

Collapse
Posted by Ben Koot on
Hi folks.

I would suggest to use /intranet/partners/index.tcl. It will provide just everything you could ask for to store info like this. I volonteer to administer the list.

Cheers
Ben

Collapse
Posted by Ed Yodis on
how about activating the classified ads module ?

This way hosting providers could register as OACS users and post ads themselves. They could control when their ads automatically expire, and modify their ads when needed (and users could see the ad histories). Classifieds already incorporates general comments as well as links to contact the advertisers. Prospective users could also review the providers' other contributions to the community (member history) as part of their hosting decisions.