Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Oracle and PG versions getting out of sync

Collapse
Posted by Janine Ohmer on
IMHO as long as the project says it supports Oracle then it is unacceptable to have people deciding to just work only in Postgres and leaving a mess for someone else to clean up. Making a sincere effort and goofing up some syntax is one thing, but not making any effort at all is another.

So I would like to ask the OCT to please discuss and clarify - are we still supporting Oracle? And if so, what is the level of effort expected from programmers who aren't working in Oracle themselves? If the current situation is acceptable to you that's fine, I just want an official statement of some sort so we all have the same expectations going forward.

Do I need to submit this request somewhere else, or is this post good enough?

Collapse
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
I agree completely with Janine. There's something called "consistency", and it's valuable. As long as OpenACS officially claims to support Oracle, then it had damn well better actually support Oracle. And if that support has caveats or limitations, then those need to be clearly, correctly, and, uh, consistently stated.

IMNSHO, if any individual developer chooses not to even do the easy, 2% extra effort stuff to help maintain support for both databases, then whether he knows it or not, that developer has taken it upon himself to sabotage OpenACS's multi-db support, and therefore to make the OpenACS community look like a bunch of sloppy, inconsistent dilettantes. And that's a Bad Thing...