Forum OpenACS Q&A: Instant Mesasges

Collapse
Posted by Iuri Sampaio on
Does anyone know if it was already developed or there is any package about instant messages.

The idea is to have a functionality to the users talk to each other in real time. With just a click of the mouse it would open a window with both people in a chat room.

It's like a AOL, Yahoo, MSN messenger. but of curse simplest, without those other tools.

Thanks,
iuri sampaio

Collapse
2: Re: Instant Mesasges (response to 1)
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
The package is called jabber and you should be able to use it from OpenACS. Though this requires quite some setting up :).
Collapse
3: Re: Instant Mesasges (response to 1)
Posted by Tim de Vries on
I'm in the process of building a Java chat system. You can whisper/mutter, have private chat with multiple users. I don't have the presentation layer finished, and I haven't integrated the ssl login, but it is in progress. I'm guessing about Dec 1 for completion.

Tim

Collapse
4: Re: Instant Mesasges (response to 1)
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
Just another chat system. I guess we now have:
-jabber
-chat package (with java applet)
-chat with flash player
-beehive
and now this.
Collapse
5: Re: Re: Instant Mesasges (response to 4)
Posted by Iuri Sampaio on
Ok I know that. I run on my site the one with java aplet.

Anyway, I was talking about good functionalities those others chat aplications have.
That's what i meant when i say that such as AOL, Yahoo, or MSN

For example: right now the users don't get a popup if another user try to chat with him.

Hey Tim, as far as i understood your package has this functionality, doesn't it? Tha great, i want to install it on my site. Let me know when oyu finish.

iuri