Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to ecommerce administrator

Collapse
Posted by Walter Smith on
Jason,
To get back to your original question, the situation with ecommerce is a little different. One convention that wasn't followed too consistently in the original ACS was how the admin functions were broken down. At some point they started differentiating between higher level admin functions (e.g., creating bboards) and lower level admin functions (administering/moderating an individual bboard).

The higher level admin functions were located in the top-level /admin directory (and required site-wide administrative privileges), while the lower level functions, for those modules that followed the convention, were located in the /*module name*/admin directory (and varied somewhat in how they enforced permissions).

Although I haven't used ecommerce, myself, I can see that it centralizes all admin functions under the site-wide administrative area. So what I would do is to break out the lower level functions that you want to delegate and put them in an /ecommerce/admin directory, or just copy the whole directory if you're not concerned about separating the functions.

Again, I haven't used ecommerce, so I don't know if you'll run into cases where you need to be a site-wide administrator to execute some of the ecommerce administrative functions.

Then if it makes sense to you, use the technique outlined in my last post for creating the administrative hierarchy to assign one or more "ecommerce administrators" who have authority over that part of the site but don't have access to site-wide administration.