Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Private Messaging

Collapse
6: Re: Private Messaging (response to 1)
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
We have a new package for private messages.
It has some similarities to gmail at the time it shows the messages, and also some features that has facebook email.
We plan to release between may or june.
Collapse
7: Re: Private Messaging (response to 6)
Posted by Joe Oldak on
This sounds very interesting - I'd certainly be keen to base something on this new package (assuming it'll be released under the GPL!)

Is there any chance I could have a preview version of it quite soon (in the next week or two?) so I can see what you're doing. It doesn't have to be finished or bug free, just something to give me a good idea of what it can do.

There are quite a few features I'd like our messaging system to have (e.g., being a destination for standard notifications, and sending alerts to users via email & sms), so it may be that by working together we end up with a more feature rich package.

Thanks!

Joe

Collapse
8: Re: Private Messaging (response to 6)
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
I would be interested in that package as well, especially for the function of redirecting notifications.

But maybe it would be smarter to add a frontend to the notifications package which allows you to browse the notifications you would have gotten by E-Mail and view them online. There you could
* channel which delivery method you would prefer for what kind of message
* Third party apps like ]project-open[ could channel their project status notifications through there
* A private messaging system could then hook into the same notification package and create a notification for a single user (or a group of users)

Just an idea for a different approach for Joe, maybe the OCT could comment if such a move would could be envisioned (extending notifications to provide an interface for triggered notifications with the *option* of sending an e-mail once triggered) for the toolkit before anyone thinks how this could be achieved.