Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Oracle listener

Collapse
Posted by Tapiwa Sibanda on
Ola

The thing with o8i install on RH7.2 is that there are several ways of doing it. I have installed oracle about 20 times (sometimes easier to hose system than to diagnose), with about 4 or five end results. I remember I had problems with one of the methods where the net8 setup would not work. lstnctrl stop would not work and I would have to create the listener.ora manually.

Now, I have a really painless 8i install on RH7.2 ... thanks Janine !!!

1. install stock RH7.2
  2. install *all* the compat*.rpm on the second RH7.2 CD ... am too lazy to figure out which ones I need.
  3. Follow install instructions in the docs
  4. When I set the env in the .bash_profile, add "export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5"
  5. At the first linking error, as user oracle, I edit the $ORACLE_HOME/bin/genclntsh, remove "-z defs", and run the script, then click Retry to continue
  6. Download and edit the root.sh, changing the ORACLE_HOME twice, from /oracle/u01... to /ora8/m01.... (the root.sh that comes with 8i does not work at all)
  7. When you run this script, make sure you su from user oracle and not su -
  8. After installation, and before you run the Net8 config, install the glibc patch as user oracle.
  9. You also need to make sure that you add "export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5" to the nsadmin .bash_profile, otherwise the openacs installation hangs.
  10. One other file you need to change is nsd-oracle which has the ORACLE_HOME set as /ora8/..../8.1.6 instead of /ora8/..../8.1.7

I have never run a debian system, so am not sure where the problem might lie, but I hope something in this installation might give you a pointer.

Try and replace the root.sh script... ... Is there a debian equivalent for the compat*.rpm files that ship with RH???