Forum OpenACS Q&A: AOLserver-oacs1 compilation errors, and how to do 4.5 with nsunix?

I've been wanting for some time to play with Oacs4.5, but AOLserver
is holding me back.  I'm currently running 3.3.1+ad13 with Jerry's
patches.  Jerry's instructions allowed me to compile and patch
without too many headaches.  Things work great for oacs 3.2.5.  This
is a Mandrake 8.0 system.

When I first switched to virtual hosting, I apparently didn't compile
ns_xml, ns_cache, and several other things that are apparently
required by oacs4.5.  The bootstrap loader throws an error about the
permissions on nsadmin, although it DOES create the directory
structure first.  Reading the log, I suspect the problem is that
ns_xml is not found.

So I thought I'd get the aolserver3.3ad13-oacs1-beta-src.tar.gz file
available on the software page, get it compiled, and then try to use
Jerry's patches if i needed them.

So I installed libxml2 and -devel, after installing zlib, all from
RPMs.  However, I cannot seem to get aolserver to compile.

a make in the tcl7.6 directory causes a segmentation fault in
generic/regexp.c.

I also tried gmake (just in case) but no luck there either.

Can anyone suggest where I might go next?

you mean gcc is segfaulting?  if so, you should upgrade that as your first step.
OK, so I did something ugly and compiled MOST of the necessary modules, stuck them in the right places in my older 3.3+ad13 compile, and got most of the way through.  I'm past the ns_xml errors, and some problems with db permissions too.

I still haven't been able to compile nscache.  I'm getting a seg fault in tclcache.c, in function NsTclCacheCmd.

Thoughts?  Or do someone with a mandrake 8.0 system (or something similar) want to volunteer a .so file?

you're far better off compiling the modules against the source tree of the nsd that you're actually using.  mixing and matching .so that are compiled against different versions is a good recipe to crash and burn.
Thanks Jonathan for the suggestion.  I upgraded to gcc-2.96-0.49.1mdk (from 0.48) and now can compile.
Jerry's nsunix patch applies to the oacs version of aolserver except for one part of tclcmds, where a section of the code to be patched is no longer present.  (Or relocated to another file?  I couldn't find it anyway.) It compiles, so I'm up and running with nsunix virtual hosting with a few oacs3.x sites and one oacs4.5 site. :)