Forum OpenACS Development: Re: OpenACS Roadmap 5.3

Collapse
27: Re: OpenACS Roadmap 5.3 (response to 1)
Posted by Dave Bauer on
I was just mentioning that putting the code into seperate directories will not necessarily solve any existing problems either. Contrib was so hard to use with CVS that we stopped using it. Moving is close enough to impossible with CVS that it makes no sense to try if we don't switch from CVS.

Mainting any system requires work, so it needs people who are going to do the work, whatever the system is. So part of the problem is not having someone responsible for each package. Until we have someone taking responsibility for packages we won't be able to adopt and new system, the current one hardly works without maintainers.

Perhaps another version control system is in order. I am open to that suggestion. That would make moving easier in the code repository, although I am not sure how it affects people who are using the code on their web sites.

I really like the idea of having a directory just for locally modified packages that are untouched by OpenACS version control and are not overwritten on upgrades.