Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to What should be included in OACS 4.6

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Well, we are talking about the 4.6 release, aren't we ?

We have given the world a revolutionary cool and new product (OACS 4.5) with multiple database support, stable version of the good starts AD has made, and new development of all the stuff that wasn't good. The next release should be more about stability than about new features. I dont want us to go down the road, where we drag some bugs with us in the toolkit all the time and then they will be assimilated as normal behaviour.

BTW, bugs also mean bugs in the UI. If a page just doesn't work like a normal user would suppose it to work (either because of language, misleading links, badly formated form {like ask for first name, address, last name in this order}).

I see a 4.7 release end of the year which incorporates all the stuff we have developed on in the various projects (dotLRN, Greenpeace CMS, AD sharenet [okay, might be just wishful thinking], full internationalization support). And who is stopping anyone to add really cool other features (aka packages).

IMHO we should have two kind of releases. One release (e.g. odd numbers) which introduce mainly new functionality, but is not thoroughly tested (e.g. because it was written, but no client has used it in production). The even releases would focus on fixing all the bugs found in the odd release, once it has been given a stress test. I'm not in favour of weeks of in-house testing. Once it works as it should in a well defined, no all including, testcase, release it. Other people will find bugs and urgent enhancements you never thought of.

Just my $0.02