Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to What should be included in OACS 4.6

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi,
<p>
I don't think we should look into drastic changes in 4.6 as I think most think that way too.  My opinion to streamline with the thinking of less object oriented since this is not the strength of Tcl, aolserver and SQL.  We have made 4.5 great!  Since aD is gone then its up to us to steer the code.  The community has to agree where to go in the long term and short term also.
<p>
My vote for short term is:
<ol>
<li> Make 4.6 a polishing and bug fixing release.  Add in functionalities of working projects like dotLRN.
<li>Streamline the data model a further with relational in mind.
<li>Write development guidelines (this should carry us to the next release).
<li>See if core can be broken away from packages.
<li>Make it short and sweet.
</ol>

<p>
My vote for long term:
<ol>
<li>Streamline further now involving the tcl, packages, etc.
<li>Remove layout on packages and move the layout to portals or subsite template.  An idea is to have packages output very simple yet standard on all packages HTML and have the portals and subsite template put in the layout stuff or even transform it.
<li>Add more service contracs.  Like have permission service contract where LDAP will store the user, group and perms.  Semi core modules are in service contract like CMS, where you can choose the CMS of choice.
<li>.net? web services... I don't think we have to wait for that the next major release may not yet have those things running real things.  Unless there is a project that made use of web services.  I think in the future new features will come from projects.
<li>Official support for multi data store.  Say bboards is stored on another db.
</ol>
<p>
I believe Malte is correct.  We should move more PL/SQL to Tcl.  Now that he have said it my opinion is to move PL/SQL to Tcl for scalability reason.  So lets streamline further the data model and move PL/SQL to Tcl as a general direction.