Forum OpenACS Development: Re: OpenACS Roadmap 5.3

Collapse
34: Re: OpenACS Roadmap 5.3 (response to 1)
Posted by Gustaf Neumann on
Here are my 5 cents:
  • We should do something for the system developer, for the content developer and for the end-user. One can easliy spend years improving the kernel, but we should keep the other stakeholder as well in mind.
  • The kernel should become more attraktive for new the system developers.
  • Instead of looking in envy to the large crouds of java developers, we should we should emphasis the strengths of tcl/xotcl in provding highly flexible systems, use introspection, etc. We have here an advantage. Luke, use the force.
  • I would like to see a higher integration between aolserver/naviserver and openacs. Improving the basic framework was not always easy with the aolserver-setup, i would expect this easier with naviserver.
  • Reusability: oacs us based on a component oriented reusabiliy, but very little reusability through inheritance. Ever tried to make a form similar to another one but differing in a few aspects without cut&paste?
  • Is it really necessary to have three packages for forums or calendars (e.g. dotlrn-forums, forums, forums-portlet)?
  • Includelets: it would be great to provide for all packages small pieces of tcl/adp pairs used in every context (similar but more flexible than the stuff in .../lib/). I would like to see these like objects with an html facade, avoiding the uplevel strangenesses). These objects might have multiple facades, some of these might be aggregates. In some situations it might be useful to look for alternatives to adps (such as tdomtdp).
  • Some abstractions in are invented per package, like some object or class like abstractions, parametrization (e.g. nested list structures for ad_form), such things could be done more uniform.
  • Overthink portals: the queries for /dotlrn are to complex, they are not well-suited for large communities.
    There must be simpler way doing this.
  • Develop towards a framework for social systems
  • Provide better content creation facilities
  • Provide support for content exchange (e.g. for dotlrn)
  • Xml import and export for every package would be great
  • Better work-flow integration/state management