Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to broken ns_returnnotfound and templated error return pages

Slightly off-topic:  When I had the aforementioned parameters set with those defaults, AOLServer could not find the /global directory.  What happened next was horrible.  When a URL was not found (ie 404), the servername-error.log file reported that the "recursion limit" of 3 was reached and the server would hang and not process new connections.  From reading the aolserver mailing list archives, the server gives up after the third attempt to locate the custom 404 file.  According to the severname-error.log file, scheduled procs were still running.  After I commented out the parameters and restarted the server, the "recursion limit" error disappeared along with the server stalls.  I'm fairly certain that the two are related since the server was stalling all of Saturday when the parameters were set and users tried to reach non-existent files, and it humming along today with no problems.  I'll know for sure tomorrow when the load goes up again.

Would this behavior be caused by some bug in AOLServer or in OpenACS?