Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to What should be included in OACS 4.6

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Don,

Wow I did not know about that insert view on CR.  I better check that out once I get back on OACS.  Anyway I don't think we should do something drastic on 4.6 but down the road we need a direction.

I will give a first hand experience as an example about the PL/SQL issue.  I wrote a plsql api one of my project.  Just because I thought it was correct and faster than tcl.  The api deals with copying one revision to a new content item.  It deals with some ifs here and there, well basically lots of logic inside the plsql.  It  sure was handy just to pass in copy_item(from_item_id, to_folder_id).  But at the same time I could have done it in Tcl.  If Malte's opinion was taken as a direction I would have done mine in Tcl rather then PL/SQL.  Well basically we need a guideline/direction so we don't use our own unless there is compeling reason to.  Not for 4.6 but it should start from 4.6 since OACS is now fully community driven because aD does not exists anymore.

Now IF (big IF) the direction was to move applicable PL/SQL api (not ALL) to tcl.  For example my api that I have done is used in most pages.  What we could do is flag the current PL/SQL api as deprecated and make a Tcl copy_item "from_item_id" "to_folder_id".  Both api will exists for sometime until all dependent packages have moved to the new API.

The same is true if the opposite direction is to be done.  Move Tcl code to PL/SQL.  If there was direction to do this then I could have wrote some of my Tcl api to PL/SQL.  We really need to give our opinions about our experiences in 4.5 so can make good decisions on what direction to take.

Or maybe we can make guidlines say for example on all DML operations like "foo_new" must be written on PL/SQL.  Any operations that selects, if, select, if, return must be written on Tcl.

I think for those guys that could meet like what happened on internationalization should meet about this general directions.  I think this meeting will be very productive than using the bboard.  Then like internationalization you guys can post what happened and the community can make inputs.

Only simple and fast general directions that is agreed on must be implemented on 4.6 so 4.6 is out of the door.  Other stuff must be done on next releases.  What do you guys/gals think?