Forum OpenACS Q&A: should we have a developers/jobs forum etc?

This is really an outgrowth on my search for more professional OpenACS
work.  Seems we have enough of a community that we might consider a
job/developer posting section.  It might be worthwhile to have some
sort of "certification" we could offer simliar to the problem sets
that Ars Digita had, i.e. complete some set of problem sets which
demonstrate ability to install , configure and develop OpenACS site.
Anyway just thoughts crossing my brain while looking for anyone
needing development help :)
Actually, this really ought to be included in the new site.

Perhaps we'd also consider a bidding/tendering section for work requests?

Collapse
Posted by Marc Spitzer on
I think we would need some kind of final project for "certification".  Something that would change at least twice a year and that you would have to finish in some specified time frame and be kept from the public until the new one is in effect.  This would prove that a person could do  a piece of work in a given chunk of time.  The only problem with this is that it would require people to vet the work, graders.  To do a good job it would require a lot of work on the graders part.  Another thing would  be cool: final projects, as submited, would be published for download.  Here is the work I do.  I got this from the sans giac security certs, it is a useful thing for the community but it is also a time sink for the administrators/graders.
As for 'certification' that word strikes notes of horror when I think of tings like 'Microsoft Certified Engineer' and so forth.... which we all know is relatively meaningless.

Quite apart from anything else I would personally (and I apologise for acting prima donna-ish) find that pretty insulting. I've been working in this industry long enough, and with this toolkit long enough, not to have sit 'on-line tests'!

Sorry ;)  Just don't see certification as much of a go-er to be honest...

Collapse
Simon,

I agree that that kind of cert is a wast of time.  I was thinking of something along the sans/giac model, there are tests involved but that is the *easy* part.  You need to complete a practical assignment that can be in excess of 70 pages long and after that is graded and you pass then you can sit for the test.  Take a look at some of the stuff at: http://www.giac.org/cert.php.

Perhaps Marc..... but I think you're missing the point. You aren't going to get much take up asking people with 10+ yrs experience and good academic backgrounds if you're asking them to take tests....

To be honest I'd have better things to do. Surely it would be better to leave client <-> suppliers to agree their own method of assessing suitability?

Collapse
You are right, they do not need tests.  And no one is being forced to take it.  But it would help the new developer.
Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
I think that the best way for an OpenACS hacker to show their skills is to contribute to OpenACS. Fix bugs, do testing, write a new package. Port one from oracle to postgresql or the other way around. Volunteer to work on the redesign of of the OpenACS.org website.

This way, you can help openacs, learn new skills, and gain valuable experience.

Marc,

I thought you were referring to a 'certification' as a job/project tendering step... not as a newbie training effort....

Collapse
Well the idea of going through the psets geting feedback then geting a "final project" that would be graded does allow people to learn the technoligy better.  And puting it up to allow people to review your work would give employers/clients something to see even if you do not have a website or 3 under your belt.  Now for seinor people who already know how to do it, you can get your ticket punched with out too much work.  Just sign up for the final and take it.
Hi Marc,

I have nothing further to say on this other than... no chance ;)

Great to have a newbie learning zone where people can play in the sand pit and have teacher congratulate them.... but if its all the same to you I've had a lifetimes worth of tests ;)

Cheers

Simon :o)

Collapse
Posted by Jon Griffin on
Like Simon said (only different), You want ME to take a final, sure thing that should be about # 5000 on my list of 4999 things to do.
Collapse
I do not want anybody to take a final. If you want to fine, if you do not want to fine.  I was also thinking of it as a project type "test" not a test type "test".

marc

Collapse
14: study abroad. (response to 8)
Posted by allisfriend23 allisfriend on
hi to all,
planstudyabroad.com are providing online free consultancy services for foreign education to all around the world.
i got much useful information as well from their excellent service.
i want if some one else got experience with them as well. plz let me know before i can decide to mover further with them.
http://www.PlanStudyAbroad.com
Collapse
Posted by mko pl on
Check this site out. http://www.poopka.com . I am sure this help in what you are trying to find out.
Collapse
Posted by Luis Garcia on
I absolutely agree! You need that. I have some programmers who I'd like to use the tool but do not have time to train myself. That probably would create more interest as well as promotion for the platform.