Forum OpenACS Development: Response to User Categorization

Collapse
Posted by Peter Marklund on

Many interesting ideas are touched on in this thread and I would like to look at them more carefully. The good news is that it seems to me like very little, if any, new functionality is needed in the Bookmarks module to enable bookmarking Bboard threads and other pages of interest in an OpenACS community. Note that the Bookmarks module has a little Javascript feature that lets you have an "Add Bookmark" button in the toolbar of your browser so that using web bookmarks becomes as easy as using ordinary browser bookmarks.

I am currently using the daily digest from the OpenACS forums and something I am *really* missing is links to each posting in the emails. In addition to such a link we could also add a "bookmark this posting link" that would take the user to the bookmark-add page in the Bookmarks module where the posting can be filed in an appropriate folder with a description.

I have recently started using the Bookmarks/Postgres package for my own bookmarks. I have a slight fear that the bookmark tree may get very slow with large numbers of bookmarks. Another and related challenge is that the SQL statements used in the module (I will take part of the blame for this...) are very lengthy and complex and thus difficult to maintain. Still, I am hoping that a complete rewrite of the module will not be necessary and I am fixing bugs as I encounter them and hope that more people will start using the package.