Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to does the calendar module in OACS 4.5 work?

Collapse
Posted by Justin Palmer on
Thanks a lot. Both fixes worked. I have a more general question, however, that I'd like to bounce off the community.

I'm hoping to use OpenACS for a student community web site here at Georgetown -- a student-run web portal. Ideally we'd use the dotLRN software to support clubs and other student groups. I was going to build this using the old OpenACS until noticed how much great work's been done on OpenACS 4.x.

Right now I'm hacking together a demo using the current OpenACS 4.5 stuff, but it seems to me (at least with 4.5 for Postgres) that bugs are being fixed by leaps and bounds daily. For example, the forums reply-to by email functionality takes the subject line a user types to mean a list of strings to send mail to locally... And the link to receive email updates doesn't exist. And the calendar's view by week is sketchy... Etc. I don't mean to criticize; I bet you all shred those bugs really, really soon!

So my question is a mix of timeline and a solicitation for advice. 😊 Is there a difference in terms of stability between the Postgres and Oracle OpenACS? The dotLRN? What's the timeline looking like for a reasonably bug-free OpenACS 4.5 look like?