Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Call for Volunteers: Redesign OpenACS.org inside and out

Count me in as well. Although I am a simple enduser with no hacking skills, I have been playing with the toolkit for about 4 years. One thing strikes me as odd. We don't use all features in the toolkit to create oacs.org. E.G. I fail to see why the core distro and CVS is not available from one source, the oacs download module.

I checked bugtracker today, and most reported bugs don't seem to be bugs, but :

1. Error messages on a local install, so outside controle of Oacs distribution.
2. Simple typing errors in the code.
3. Creative ideas to enhance user experience.
4. Referals to problems not related to the packages, but related to dependancies. In that model, the package maintainer concept won't work, as each hacker will have his/her pet project.
5. Bugtracker doesn't seem to have a function that allows bugs to be closed, anyway, I couldn't find it.
6. Many user problems are caused by conflicts between packages. These are referenced, but mostly never solved.

If the bugtracker would be monitored from within the project management module, problems could be tackled more effectively.

I think we need a bugtraker editor, who monitors bugtracker and forums and evaluates what needs to be done to solve problems. I volonteer to do the editting and analyis, but would need a programmer to double check my newbie assumptions. Based on that analysis, we could create a billable hour job exchange.

I will follow up later with my own requirments to to give this idea more body.
Cheers