Forum OpenACS Q&A: Grafik design contest

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
What do you think about a small contest for graphic redesign of the
logo and the site. At the end we could have a poll for the best design
out of those which had been submitted.

What would there be to gain: Recognition and honour, as well as the
benefit of beeing reknown as a good graphic designer who might be
hired for client work. And $100 which S&R would set out as a prize.

If you think this is a good idea I'd organize this contest with a
deadline of September 1st for all submissions and a declared winner by
1st of October (so we have one month for the work and one month for
the poll).

Collapse
Posted by David Kuczek on
Brilliant idea! Where should people post their logos and where and how should they post suggestions for the site?

IMHO ~ 2 html pages should be okay for the redesign of the site. The homepage and maybe the bboard index page...

Collapse
Posted by Paul Sharples on
I love the idea, but I have bad memories of the Debian logo contest.

(There were at least 9 iterations and voting was open to the public. 99% of the submissions were a variation on Larry Ewing's penguin and no clear winner emerged. I voted on a number of occasions but each time the contest was extended. I lost interest before the winner was chosen; presumably it was done by a benevolent dictator.)

With that out of the way, I'd suggest making some groundrules upfront:

• Allow voting, but in the absence of a clear winner, a judge will be the final arbiter. Rather than call for a process of electing a judge, I propose that you, Malte, accept the responsibility.
  • Some basic specifications for the logo (file format, image dimensions and file size spring to mind but I'm not a graphic type so there may be other constraints which I've missed).
One last thing: whilst we're talking about a new logo, we could re-consider changing the project name... 😊
Collapse
Posted by defunct defunct on
Hmmm... I personally think voting is a v.bad idea.

I realise its in the spirit of community.. but... rarely are things decided by committee a success.

I think a small team, with responsibility for this, should decide following consultation with the community at large.

I certainly don't want to see any penguins 😉

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi,

I think it would be great if we can put into motion that our company infiniteinfo is voluntarily giving some graphics artists hours.

We would like to treat the OpenACS site as a client project.  I know its not that much fun but rest assure we will do our best.  The community will be our client and DaveB will be the point man since he is working on the site.

We will likely put up screenshots on our servers for the community to give comments.  Is this ok with community?  Its not as democratic and fun but I think it will get things done very well.

Collapse
Posted by defunct defunct on
I personally think thats an excellent way forward, providing there is good, continuing consultation, and the community is activing as the client.. i.e. the driver for requirements.
Collapse
Posted by David Kuczek on
Sounds good to me... Give me an "R", give me an "E", give me an "S", give me a "U", give me an "L", give me a "T" and finally give me an "S" ---> Results 😊
Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
I agree as well. Now that infiniteinfo has agreed to add graphical design hours to the project, no need for a contest, unless the results don't meet the idea of the community, which I personally doubt.
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
I'm with the crowd on this one.  Hey, the current site design wasn't done by the community and look at how great it is!  Oops ... there wasn't really any site design done for the current openacs.org and it shows, doesn't it?  Ben put a day or so into the current front-page look but that was about it AFAIK.

So ... yeah, a design by InfiniteInfo sounds great.  This is a great day, where's all this energy coming from?  Let's keep adding to it.