Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Learntec 2003

Collapse
4: Response to Learntec 2003 (response to 1)
Posted by Don Baccus on
I would join an OpenACS booth and take care of the coordination of some top models performing a dancing show in front of our honorable booth 😊
Buy Vinod a ticket and he'll put on a show!

A booth. I'm guessing this is a bit premature, at least for OpenACS at large. Not only is there the issue of paying for it, but paying for shipping to a show, organizing who will receive it, all that is probably more than we can muster at the moment. What if it gets stolen from the back of one's rental car? How do we handle that? Insurance. Who carries the insurance? We'll want it to pop up in various countries. Who fills out the declaration forms? Who stores it in between shows?

I'm such a wet blanket :(

On the bright side booths that fit into one to three large suitcase-type containers can be very nice. The kind I've used in two different organizations involve foam-core panels with metal reinforced edges and cloth covering. They come in sets of three hinged panels about a meter high. One set's suitable for a tabletop display. Four sets make you a real booth a couple of meters high and perhaps four meters wide with edges angled in.

Your material is on flat screened panels backed with Velcro.

They look surprisingly nice. The advantage of this type is that for an informal show you can just ship one panel set and a subset of your material and put it up on a table top, while for a big show you can ship the whole thing and put up the full booth. It's a very flexible design.

They're also very easy to put up and take down.

These are fairly expensive though, $12K or so for enough to build a full booth.

With any portable booth design it is important to see one "in the wild". I've seen some designs that look really tacky. Also it's important to find out how hard they are to put together/take down and weight is also important (shipping charges).