Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Financing community work

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Hi Jun,

I was actually thinking about using BBoard. Here is an example posting I had in mind (though this is a dummy, I will make this real once the community doesn't object).

Community Bid: RedHat RPM's

As we know of the importance for easy download and installation of the toolkit I'd like to see RPM's of OpenACS build for RedHat. This would include RPM's of AOLserver and interfacing with the Postgres RPM's Redhat provides. Once we have those, it might be easier to get our software to distributions out there.

Detailed demands:

• RPM which installs if postgres and aolserver have been installed
  • OpenACS RPM will fire up the webserver on localhost:8000 and greet the user with the page where he could give his personal details (the end of the installation screen).
  • If localhost:8000 is busy, take another open port
For this work S&R would pay $100.
Now, let's assume infiniteinfo wants this as well and is willing to spend $200 for this. Then you would just answer to my initial posting stating you would spend $200 (and maybe add to the specs). Now Peter reads this and says, well I can do it and $300 bucks is nice in my pocket, so he would post stating that he would do it. Once he is finished and the task is available at OpenACS.org he would get $100 from S&R and $200 from infiniteinfo.

Does this clarify my idea ?