Forum OpenACS Q&A: Real takes open source route...

Collapse
Posted by David Kuczek on
What do people think about Real's effort, especially their license
modell...

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-945406.html?tag=fd_top

http://www.helixcommunity.org/

Collapse
Posted by Jonathan Ellis on
seriously, most of us read tech news sites.  that's why these posts don't generate any discussion here...
Collapse
Posted by defunct defunct on
David,

I personally don't check out that many techie news sites... have far too much work to do, but, taking Jonathan's point, this kind of thing would be perfect for a .com/marketing view of openacs.. i.e. related posting, business issues, strategy etc...

Collapse
Posted by David Kuczek on
Okay news.com might be an obvious place to read, but I just wanted to hear if somebody with license background read Real's license... When I read the article I was thinking about class room streaming for dotLRN...

If there was another more apropriate forum I would surely post it there so that people that don't want to read such redundant posts don't have to subscribe to it! BTW I don't cut and paste everydays tech news link selection... and yes there has been news posts in the past that generated valuable discussion!

Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
In the discussion earlier about a oacs.com or marketing site I suggested a slash-like blog. This could help for reasons as David and Simon suggested. It wouldn't be hard to implement eitehr...

Also, David, try coming to the #openacs channel on irc.openprojects.net. I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but the more people that are there, the more real time OACS dev dicsussion can take place...

talli

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Maybe if more people came to IRC we'd get more stimulating discussion like this:
talli:  markd's a dork
markd:  paje's a dork
paje: talli's a dork 
Collapse
Posted by Peter Marklund on
David,
just like Simon I also hardly have the time to follow the tech news and I found your post quite interesting! Keep em coming! 😊
Collapse
Touche, Don.

But all work and no play makes for a very boring developer's community, no?

Also, no more beer for you...

talli

Collapse
9: My Real Story.... (response to 1)
Posted by MaineBob OConnor on

This is GOOD NEWS

We serve up over 100 hours of Real audio on a non-Real server (non streaming server). It works well. Some of our users have had trouble getting REAL installed and working on their machines. We always recommend that they download the *hard to find* link to the FREE (not TRIAL) version of the player. Initially there were some problems with the newest player "REAL ONE" playing our stuff and I still keep the install file of Real 7 'cause it is less "ad-dy" and in your face than Real 8 and Real One.

I have another machine with Real One (FREE) on it and just last week I wanted to play a wav file in an email, and Real One said it needed to contact the website to get some missing component. It wouldn't connect so I did the whole unin/reinstall again and still it wanted to get the missing component to play wav's and again it failed... I gave up and installed WinAmp. I suspect but cannot prove that they left this wav component out so that they can get me to buy their player...

AND I am looking for another NonReal player to recommend to our users that is free and easy to install. Steve Gibson the shields up guru of grc.com really dislikes REAL because they were harvesting user info and denied it.... Steve proved they were harvesting... AS a result his stuff is served with Microsoft's Media Player. NOW I just read (infoworld?) that the license agreement with the Newest version of Microsoft's Media Player allows microsoft to delete files from my harddrive as it sees fit, particularly ones that *may* infringe on some copyright and likely to be MP3.... WAY too invasive....

So much for a rant... Any suggestions for a Free Real Audio format player that works on Win, Mac and Linux that I can recommend to our users?

-Bob

Collapse
Posted by Brian Fenton on
I've never used IRC before, but would be interested in getting on #openacs. What software do most people use to connect?
Collapse
Brian,

Here is a quick tutorial...

To log onto the server, there are a number of tools you can use. My personal favorite is Chatzilla, a free application which comes with Mozilla.

If you download Mozilla from mozilla.org and install the complete version, Chatzilla will be on your computer. Open Mozilla, and go to the tools menu and select Chatzilla. A new window will open.

In the text space for the "client" tab, type:

/server irc.openprojects.net

A new tab will open that welcomes you to the server. Then type:

/join #openacs

Another tab will open up. You should see my name there with a green dot next to it. Then start chatting!

Another client that can be used on Windows is trillian from trillian.cc. On Linux, xchat is a nice client.

However, a google search for IRC and Windows or whatever OS you happen to be using should bring up quite a few other tools.

HTH

talli

Collapse
Cool! Thanks Talli, I'll give it a whirl!
Collapse
Having a small problem...
What port do I have to open on my firewall? Is it 6667?
Collapse
Brian, yeah, 6667 is the IRC port.

talli

Collapse
Posted by C. R. Oldham on
Brian,

If you also need to access the various IM systems, Trillian is a multi-protocol chat client that also speaks the IRC protocol.  See http://www.trillian.cc/

Collapse
Posted by Michael Bluett on
About the IRC channel, perhaps someone could suggest a link via Java applet for the lazy?