Forum .LRN Q&A: Forums plain text formatting bug?

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
It looks like forums is not honoring CR for a line ending in postings.
If you type to CRs to insert a blank line, the preview and post view
page just show one big block of text.

I noticed this on a bboard migration test. All the paragraph
formatting was lost.

I don't know if it is a display issue, or a database issue.

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Sorry. This is on the Postgresql version of forums. Although at the sloan dotlrn demo site it looks like the same thing is happening.
Collapse
Posted by Arjun Sanyal on
Yup, this is on oracle too. We'er working on a fix.
Collapse
Posted by Deds Castillo on
Could it be a browser issue? I'm only experiencing this on
Konqueror. Galleon and Netscape are able to display it fine.
Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
I just noticed this commit in the CVS tree, and figured it was in response to this thread:
Modified Files:
	text-html-procs.tcl 
Log Message:
added code to ad_text_to_html to Convert _single_ CRLF's to <br>'s to preserve line breaks
What I said in reponse was:
It was very much on purpose that I didn't include this in code originally.

If you do this, then the formatting begins to be dependent on accidental returns that you cannot see in your textarea.

I decided that since the desire for explicit formatting is relatively rare, you'll have to live with having to either (a) select the preformatted style, (b) select HTML style and add the <pre ></pre> tags yourself, or (c) stick with plain, but use double-enters for your line breaks.

/Lars
Collapse
Posted by Tracy Adams on
I'm looking a the current code and am wondering if this is fixed.

I see a call to ad_text_to_html in /forums/www/message-preview-chunk.tcl.  However, I don't see an attempt to convert text to html in /forums/www/message-view.tcl.  I also checked the possibility that the content is converted before it put in the database and this was not the case.

So my conclusion is that there is no text-to-html conversion attempted at all.  Is this the case and is someone actively working on it (in which case I'll just wait)?

Collapse
Posted by Arjun Sanyal on
<blockquote> I'm looking a the current code and am wondering if this is fixed.
</blockquote>

Nope, this is not fixed yet. We're working with Lars on it.

I've been working on forums and have a bunch of uncommitted UI improvements. I'll commit once we figure out this issue.