Forum OpenACS Q&A: How to close/remove bugs

Collapse
Posted by Ben Koot on
Can somebody enlighten me how to close bugs I reported but that are no longer an issue. For example this one; https://openacs.org/bugtracker/openacs/bug?f%5fcomponent=56221&format=table&f%5fstate=7&bug%5fnumber=2208&project%5fid=56106

All I can do is edit the message, but the bug will remain listed in the count as open bug. Maybe bugtracker needs a "close" parameter.

Thanks

Ben

Collapse
Posted by Stan Kaufman on
Ben, you need to "Resolve" it first (with whatever status you feel most appropriate). Then you can "Close" it.
Collapse
Posted by Ben Koot on
Thanks,

Got it worked out now, but this looks like a prime example of user-experience complexity. From the main bug report, once it's assigned to the package maintainer, there is no reference to "resolve". In order to close, you need to reassign the bug to yourself. Than you get a reference to "resolve". Since the package maintainer concept has it's flaws, it would be helpful to find alternative to this procedure, which assumes there are maintainers.

I think there are quite a few issues like this that ad to confusion, that could be solved quite easily, if a pool of end user were to stimulated to ask similar questions. We've got 9420 community members, and a core team of about 100 regular contributers. maybe it's time to open up the rest of the community 😉. To get things started, a bulkmail message would help to get some interaction going.

Not solving this results in the current situation of seemingly available bugs which are no longer relevant. Even having a simple reference like this using the /notes package would be helpful, at least more effective than us discussing this on the forum.

Just a thought
Cheers
Ben

Collapse
Posted by Joe Cooper on
Collapse
Posted by Ben Koot on
Thank's Joe,

To bad it's still unresolved after 6 months !! It's doesn't realy take rocket science to fix I would imagine.

Maybe it's time to create 1 master bugfixer delegating tasks to experienced coders, and for the time being forget about package maintainers.

Cheers
Ben

Collapse
Posted by Joe Cooper on
You must be new here. 😉

Bugs just don't get fixed in most packages. In this case, though, this specific problem has been fixed in the current version of the bug-tracker that you'll get if you install it into your own OpenACS installation...a couple of major new issues have been introduced, however, that makes it a toss-up as to whether you want the old problems or the new. Both are extremely ornery and much harder to fix that you'd think.

I'm not at all familiar with the code running on OACS.org, but the bug-tracker I have on my server is wholly impossible to understand. I've tried to fix the biggest issue (normal users cannot comment on bugs unless they created the bug) on several occasions--once or twice with a "I'm going to fix this thing even if I have to read every line of code in the whole package" attitude, and still failed on every attempt.