Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Call for Volunteers: Redesign OpenACS.org inside and out

I for one am starting to get tired of the "people should stop focusing on logos" bashing. For what purpose does this serve if not to be completely demoralising and deconstructive?

Look at how we started this thread... we had some discussion on a logo design, with some mock ups provided for feedback. This then inspired Carl to scratch up a site design for feedback. We actually *saw* some progress on a fresh new look for the site, even though it was just back-of-the-envelope ideas. Like Torben said, it is good to take a break from coding and do something "artfully creative".

Now look at this thread... nothing but hot air.

While I'm venting (hot air), if a logo redesign or new site design is so bad then tell me why they get so much exposure on slashdot?

Other open source projects like FreeBSD, NetBSD, SeaMonkey, Debian, RoR, have all appeared on slashdot repeatedly for something deemed in this thread to be so trivial.

How about Drupal's Druplicon on the cover of PHP | Architect? Do we not crave this sort of exposure? I think Drupal is a piece of crap, but hats off to their marketing skills.

I for one am bewildered (and jealous) that other community projects can get so much attention, and they seem to be doing it not because they have a great product, but because they are great at marketing their product.

Logos and brand identity are not a waste of time. And if you think they are, then Trump will fire your a$$ from The Apprentice.