Forum OpenACS Development: instant messages

Collapse
Posted by Iuri Sampaio on
I am browsing the packages private-message and chat in order to get enlightening ideas about creating a useful instant message application for online users on my system.

i want to grab some code from chat pkg (particularly the ajax module) in order to set up a instant message application for online users on my system.

It would work exactly like a chat room of the chat package but instead of being a passive chat room, where people need to get into it to participate, it needs to be an agent to warn the users. Something that would catch up their attention such as pop up telling they have messages. Furthermore ajax would do the job of synchronizing both users to a real time chat.

Then each instant message in their "inbox" (as we have on private-message pkg) would be a set of chat rooms where each active (non-read) messages would be a room that one user could get into to start to chat instantly to the other user who just sent the message.

Moreover it would change how the chat pkg is designed, ad it would be a mix of both packages.

Those are just the first ideas i had and i wanted to share with you in the community.

Did anyone already work with this?

is there another solution that would do the job?

cheers,