Forum OpenACS Development: Re: empty_string_p obsolete?

Collapse
Posted by Gustaf Neumann on
Hi everybody,

I did some more work on these issues and developed and tested the tcl script below that changes and normalizes various expressions. The script normalizes the following expressions (somewhat simplified and not complete)

• ![empty_string_p $X] ... {$X ne ""}
  • [empty_string_p $X] ... {$X eq ""}
  • ![string equal $X $Y] ... {$X ne $Y}
  • [string equal $X $Y] ... {$X eq $Y}
  • ![string compare $X $Y] ... {$X eq $Y}
  • [string compare $X $Y] ... {$X ne $Y}
  • ![string match "" $X] ... {$X ne ""}
  • [string match "" $X] ... {$X eq ""}
  • [string match "stringwitoutmatchchars" $X] ... {$X eq "stringwithoutmatchchars"}
  • $X == "alpha" ... {$X eq "alpha"}
  • $X != "alpha" ... {$X ne "alpha"}
Furthermore, the adds braces around (simple) expressions such they will get compiled into byte code. Since eq and ne are well optimzed by the bytecode compiler, there should be a measurable performance improvement for many functions.

I tried to be rather conservative, so it does not changes all ocurrences of these patterns, but only rather simple cases. Complex expression should be changed by hand.

On my machine, the script produces 11279 changes in 1858 files. This is most probably the biggest change (in number of lines) in the history of oacs. By doing some random clicking in my oacs 5.2 + dotlrn installation, everything seems to work. But since the number of changes is huge, i would be surprised, if there are no bugs somewhere hidden. I did not commit the changes into cvs but decided to post the script here such that package maintainer and OCT members might consider these changes already into e.g. 5.2.

If the script is run e.g. from the ..../packages directory,

tclsh /SOMEPATH/normalize_expressions.tcl
it processes all *tcl-files underneath it and produces a backup file for each changed file with the name $name-original. One can switch back to the original state by running
tclsh /SOMEPATH/normalize_expressions.tcl -reset 1 -change 0
With these flags it will simply overwrite the source files with the *original files. When the changes are committed, the *-original files should be deleted.

Here is the script: http://media.wu-wien.ac.at/download/normalize_expressions.tcl

my best seasons greetings
-gustaf

PS: I found some strange looking [string match ...] occurrences (not changed by the script) that someone should give a look. Some of these might be string comparisons (not matches), some seem to have the wild card characters in the wrong argument. Here are a few examples:

gatekeeper/tcl/gatekeeper-procs.tcl: if {[string match $port ""]} {
acs-tcl/tcl/tcl-documentation-procs.tcl: [string match $lcase_value "f"] || \
news/www/preview.tcl:if { [string match $action "News Item"] } {
acs-bootstrap-installer/db-init-checks-oracle.tcl: if {($dbversion_total <= 8001006) && [string match $platform "Linuxi386*"]} {
acs-bootstrap-installer/tcl/00-proc-procs.tcl: if { $impl eq "impl" || [string match $impl "impl::*"] } {