Forum OpenACS Development: Re: RedHat Postfix or QMail for OpenAcs 5.x

Collapse
Posted by Joe Cooper on
Hey Bob,

I'm using Postfix on our server, and outgoing works just fine. I have had no issues beyond the initial setup (which wasn't bad, and I can probably help if you run into problems).

However, I've never gotten incoming to work at all. We're using Maildir delivery, which is theoretically just like qmail. OpenACS is checking the mail and it is disappearing from the $MAILDIR/new directory, but it's never ending up getting to where it is supposed to go. Now that I've had more time to deal with OpenACS, I suspect OACS of being broken in this regard rather than my configuration being wrong. I like OACS a lot, but it's got a lot of broken pieces, and I believe this is one of them. Now that I've got a lot more experience with OACS, I plan to tackle the problem again with fresh eyes (and much better OACS debugging skills, though still sorely lacking in most regards).

And, as for staying away from qmail, there's a lot of good reasons it isn't in standard Red Hat and there's a lot of good reasons to stay away from it regardless of whether it is provided by Red Hat or not. Someone involved in OACS/ACS early on was a big ol' DJB fanboy, and this preference for DJB tools makes the documentation way more complicated than it needs to be for most Linux system users. I mean, really, daemontools and qmail? Wholly unnecssary dependencies that are orthogonal to the real problem that OACS is trying to address. There's already a pretty big stack of odd-ball tools to be installed, and it's just sadistic to specifically recommend even more outsider tools. But now I'm straying into random bashing. I'll stop.

Good luck with Postfix. Let me know if you figure out the incoming problem. 😉