Forum OpenACS Development: Changes to acs-tcl to support Naviserver?

What is the reason to add special handling code to support Naviserver, a fork of AOLserver, which from this change, appears to have broken the filter APIs for no apparent reason.

http://cvs.openacs.org/cvs/openacs-4/packages/acs-tcl/tcl/utilities-procs.tcl?r1=1.83.2.4&r2=1.83.2.5

This change is pretty small, but I don't think the OpenACS community needs to take on yet another ever more obscure requirement right now.

What are the benefits that Naviserver brings, and what is the reason that is changes such basic APIs forcing changes in OpenACS?

Collapse
Posted by Gustaf Neumann on
Sorry, this was me. how can this break the filter code? What kind of errors do you see? in my installation this apprears to work with and without naviserver.
Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
I meant that Naviserver changed the APIs from AOLserver. THis breaks all AOLserver code that used the filter APIs.

Gustaf, the changes you made are quite simple but I am just wondering if OpenACS needs to support two web servers.

What is to prevent OpenACS from making more of these changes when the Naviserver folks decide the AOLserver APIs are not they way they like?

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Gustaf chatted with me on IRC>

We discussed that Naviserver remvoed the conn parameter from the ns_register_filter variants so that the first parameter is always the same.

Anyway, I guess as long as the changes are clear like this one, and there does not seem to be any great maintenance burden, it makes sense to support Naviserver is folks are using it with OpenACS.