Forum OpenACS Development: Ecommerce etc

Collapse
Posted by Jon Griffin on
I am working on the next generation of ecommerce et. al.

I have had a retail store for close to a year now and have seen many different schemes. Internally I use MS RMS, although I would love to change as the database stuff really sucks from a design standpoint. I use it because it works, period. It isn't the best, but I need a GUI for my employees and the Linux/Unix options suck at best. Also, Quickbooks integration is essential, as I don't like paying CPA's to reenter my data.

So, now that motivation is out of the way, I still use OACS for ALL my sites. With 5.2 ecommerce is marginally working but definitly showing its age. I am proposing the following (something like dotfolio or dotwrk), a decoupled ecommerce using the best of OACS and XOtcl extensions.

I have a new package called shopping cart which only deals with,,,, shopping carts. I also have the start of a simplified and extensible products db. I need to flesh out categories, relations to other products etc.

I am combining experience with OACS and a retail store, OSCommerce with all it's worts many are using it, the old ecommerce from OACS and aspects of MS RMS.

I need a package for import/export of data ( I volunteer myself and the reality is it should have been started 2 years ago when I talked at length with Talli and Roberto at LinuxWorld SF).

Here is my proposed (and very basic) intro to the cart/products database. Keep in mind that extensibility is important (i.e. events can also be in the cart, although I feel bad as one of the original authors at AD of the events/activities extreme normalization and overengineering, but hell, it does more than most event packages ;) )

------------

// Unlike the current ecomm,
// A customer can have more than one cart active.
// The cart should be able to be

shipping gateway stuff {
via_id // what company

}

shippers {
shipper_id
lots of shipper info if you really need it
}

shopping_cart {
cart_id
product_id
user_id ? // maybe an non-registered user can have a cart
quantity
date_added // scheduled proc to clean
comments // for specials etc.

}

shipping {
cart_id
shipping_amount
shipper_id

}

// the actual invoice
// this may not happen in real time.

settlement_header {
customer_id
bill_to // this needs to use the ref stuff
ship_to // ""
card_id // if we store card, don't know if that is totally legal with Visa/MC
status_id // FK to a status table
shipped_p // something that links to

}

settlement_detail {
cart_id
product_id
price_ea
invoice_price_ea
tax_p
tax_amount
quantity
}

// how to deal with ....
// buy this get that for $$
// buy one get one for xxx
// etc.

promo_matrix {
promo_id
desc

}

// not really for the cart.

products {
product_id
sku // internal store number
weight // needs conversion, i.e. us/metric

}

// localized info
products_description {
product_id
language_id // or whatever the oacs equiv is
name
description // could be blob
views // maybe track how many views by locale

}

Collapse
2: Re: Ecommerce etc (response to 1)
Posted by Nick Carroll on
Hi Jon,

I would like to recommend using the View package, so that you can keep a history of items that the user has previously viewed. That way they can always go back to something they were interested in, and probably buy it. Or just add it to the shopping cart without venturing back to the description page.

Cheers,
Nick.