Forum OpenACS Q&A: Install .LRN on top of OpenACS?

Collapse
Posted by Christof Spitz on
Hi, I wanted to try OpenACS as the main CMS tool for a website. As a special application for some groups of student I want to install .LRN. I am not clear wether I should

* install OpenACS first and then install the .LRN as a package (in that case is documentation given in the OpenACS .LRN package on how to install it still valid?)
* install .LRN and add some more packages from OpenACS

I tried it the first way (OpenACS 5.1.5), but there were errors e.g. when creating "Departments" in .LRN.

TIA, Christof

Collapse
Posted by Christof Spitz on
Ok, I try to post this again formatted:

I wanted to try OpenACS as the main CMS tool for a website. As a special application for some groups of students I want to install .LRN.

I am not clear wether I should

* install OpenACS first and then install the .LRN as a package (in that case is documentation given in the OpenACS .LRN package on how to install it still valid?)

* install .LRN and add some more packages from OpenACS

I tried it both ways, but neither really worked 'out of the box'.

OpenACS / .LRN are powerful tools, but it seems for newbie or someone who didn't go deeply into it for a couple of months or years it's very frustrating, since nearly nothing, even the very basic functions of the packages, works smoothly 😟

It's difficult to convince people to use OpenACS if you can't even present them a simple installation that works flawlessly.

Ok, this was way off topic ...

Collapse
Posted by David Ghost on
I'm curious about this too.
Please give an answer!
Collapse
Posted by Rainer Hahnekamp on
Hi, I would recommend to install it via CVS. Just do

cvs -d :pserver:mailto:anonymous@cvs.openacs.org:/cvsroot checkout -r oacs-5-2 acs-core
mv openacs-4 dotlrn
cd dotlrn/packages
cvs -d :pserver:mailto:anonymous@cvs.openacs.org:/cvsroot checkout -r oacs-5-2 dotlrn-all
mv dotlrn/install.xml ..

After that edit the config file and start the AOLServer. OpenACS and .Lrn are installed perfectly.

More information on https://openacs.org/doc/openacs-5-2/using-cvs-with-openacs.html

Collapse
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
or just follow the steps manually in the install.xml