Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Problems defining procs

Collapse
Posted by ultra newb on
I stated several times that I put this proc definition in a "blah-procs" file in a tcl folder. In other words, I put it in a file that is supposed to "auto-run" when the system starts.
Collapse
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
I stated several times that I put this proc definition in a "blah-procs" file in a tcl folder.

Which is not a way to "dynamically define this proc".

Collapse
Posted by ultra newb on
What's the correct way to do it? (current way seems to be working now)
Collapse
Posted by Jim Lynch on
so the proc has to return a list... that's not a problem, a list is a string. I'm really, really skeptical when you say the proc has to be dynamic; there's a database you can use, are the values you need to return in the database?
Collapse
Posted by ultra newb on
No, the values are in a backend system I wrote in another programming language (a server). These values change from time to time. I'd like to avoid having to change values in the openacs system (front end) when the values on the backend change. I thought the best and cleanest approach was to make a dynamic proc (the memoized approach one person recommended works also).

At any rate, everything is working fine now. The problem (as someone pointed out) was accessing a system proc when there wasn't a connection.