Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: DB Connection Error

Collapse
16: Re: DB Connection Error (response to 15)
Posted by Héctor Romojaro on
Hi Danny,

I guess you are installing OpenACS using the debian packages (nice!), so the only file you should need to edit is /etc/aolserver4/conf.d/openacs.sh, and all other changes should be done vía debconf.

If you are sure that the postgresql installation is correct, my advice is to purge the openacs package, drop the database, check if the www-data user has permission to access postgresql (have a look at /usr/share/doc/openacs/README.Debian) and reinstall the package.

It should work, and start an OpenACS instance at localhost:8000 (by default). If it doesn't, please let us know.

Cheers,

Héctor Romojaro

Collapse
17: Re: DB Connection Error (response to 16)
Posted by Jim Lynch on
Hector, we already know by his log that it's trying to start on port 80; further, it's either not finding nspostgres or its lib.
Collapse
18: Re: DB Connection Error (response to 17)
Posted by Héctor Romojaro on
Hi Jim,

That's exactly why I advised Danny to purge and reinstall the package, because the default install must work with a working postgresql installation (at least with the postgresql debian package, which I guess he is using).

Once it works, changing the config to point to port 80 is simple:

1- Set the RUN_DAEMON var to "no" in /etc/default/aolserver4
2- Set the AOL_PORT (and AOL_ADDRESS, if you want) var to "80" in /etc/aolserver4/conf.d/openacs.sh
3- Restart aolservers with # /etc/init.d/aolserver4 restart

Cheers,

Héctor Romojaro