Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: invalid command name "throttle"

Collapse
Posted by Janine Ohmer on
I am wondering how the package repository is being populated.

I happen to be working on project-manager at the moment, so I know that the latest version in the oacs-5-2 branch is 2.71a3. The one in the Repository is 3.1d21. That sounds suspiciously like the version from HEAD, though I haven't checked. Further, I have a checkout of the oacs-5-2 branch and I tried searching it for the word "throttle" - none found. So whatever you are getting from the Repository it's not from that branch.

Ben, what I recommend you do is do a clean 5.2.2 install, then do a CVS checkout on the oacs-5-2 tag into another location and copy the packages you want to install into your packages directory. Then use the APM to install from local sources. This is what I have done and my installs have been almost error free (a couple of small Oracle bugs which won't trouble you).

This is not an ideal solution, because people are still free to check code in on the oacs-5-2 branch, and so the state of the packages you check out is not only unknown but unrepeatable unless you note the exact time you checked them out, but at least they do seem to work, and this is the best solution I've found in the current state of affairs.

Once upon a time the "final" tag for a release included all packages, and I think there was a lot of value in doing it that way.

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Janine, Ben,

our take when developing is to be careful in *tagging*. A package will get tagged if it prove to work *alone* on a certain branch.

This is why none of contacts, project-manager, invoices, tasks, acs-mail-lite (with correct attachement sending) aso. are tagged for release by us.

On the other hand we put the code into the CVS so *OTHERS* can play around with it, see how it works and hopefully clean the packages up to a degree that they meet the criteria mentioned above. Or, at the bare minimum, write a ticket so someone could resolve it :).

So, now that the repository is fixed and the tarball is generated out of the repository, we should be fine. All is required now is for someone to walk through the packages we now that are working and give them a maturity level of 1-3 along with tagging them openacs-x-x-compat.