Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: XoWiki - standardized user interface / document views question/request

Dave, nice idea. i am not sure that this should be standard though, since the page templates of xowiki can do it very similar things (current shortcoming: content of template variables can only be inserted via plain text fields). actually, it won't be hard to let an admin specify for what fields what kind of input widget can be used, but i have some other real work to do... it will come sooner or later.

It is nice see that some little work can make people happy.

The original code listed all catagories from all trees in a long page, which is not optimal. i have now updated the category plugin in CVS to handle multiple category trees. one can now specify "tree_name" as a parameter (see below) to display only the wanted trees (the value is a match pattern). if "no_tree_name" is set, the tree_name is not displayed.

This is a repository with many nice examples of XoWiki pages.
>left-col<<
{{adp portlets/categories {name {Table of Contents} tree_name *toc*}}}
><< >right-col<<
{{adp portlets/categories {name {Table of Contents} tree_name Purpose}}}
><<
Forgot to mention: here are now tow category tries displayed, "xowiki-toc" and "Purpose". see screen shot:
http://media.wu-wien.ac.at/download/xowiki-doc/2categories.png
very cool.

indeed, it doesn't haveto be standard. one discussion i had pointed out that perhaps xowiki should just be a plain wiki by default, and only enable this feature from the admin section for the package.

either way, this is looking great. i hope dave can figure out how to change the front page of xowiki to something a little more 'reader friendly' so that we don't have all the pages crowding that view.

on the front page i would like to try and recreate the content from the home page on openacs.org to see how far we can take the 'presentation' capabilities.

any thoughts gustaf?

gustaf, that screenshot looks great.
never mind, i just saw your post in the feature request section on the wiki regarding this topic.

can't wait to see that.

this wiki is turning out to be very powerfull indeed.