Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Re: Re: Contacts package

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Michael, fundamental question. Would you prefer us to not work out of openacs.org CVS unless we produce a developer release?

There might be some misunderstanding, but at the current point I do not expect anyone to use contacts out of HEAD or get on board for that matter. Use the version in 5.1, works fine to my knowledge.

Others reported they were able to install the version from HEAD, so I think the statement of "mess" "that will take days to sort out" is just unjustified.

In the future we luckily wont have these problems anymore as only tagged packages will show up in the repository and therefore only users who download packages from CVS will see out code (until we release it). This should prevent this whole discussion from happening in the first place.

Collapse
Posted by Janine Ohmer on
FWIW, my personal opinion is that nothing should be committed to CVS unless it works. That doesn't mean it has to be fully tested and ready for release, but I don't think the publicly accessible CVS repository should be used for incremental commits while a package is under development. That's what local CVS repositories are for.

I think that anything that's in the public CVS should install and drop cleanly, and should be in a state where there is a *reason* to make it publicly accessible. Usually that would be to ask others for their opinions on how it is shaping up so far, or to ask for suggestions on how to implement something, or maybe to ask for help with testing.

I just don't see how it benefits the project to have a package under active development, which really isn't useful to anyone, made publicly accessible. Especially since one of the first mistakes all newbies make when they try to check something out of CVS is to forget the branch tag. A newbie who checked out HEAD today would be in for quite a shock!

Just my $0.02...