Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: new install, new error:

Collapse
Posted by Ben Koot on
I have had my fair share of problems trying to get the installation up and running last week. Some things seem to have been mixed up last week, causing problems. Since Saturday, thanks to the hard work of some the resident guru's I have a clean install of https://openacs.org/projects/openacs/download/one-revision?revision_id=363173
and it works fine, despite a few cosmetic issues and missing key errors.

One thing I have learned is don't waste time trying to find the cause of problems, just dump the corrupt installation and install from scratch. Saves a lot of frustration. Remember. It's a toolkit, and sometimes tools get misplaced. Anyway, the install should be ok just now.

On thing I noticed is dotLRN get's mounted without being asked for, causing a partial twin install, that seems to mess up the installation.( missing key and double tabs). I think it will be a great improvemnt if we have theme selva available independant of dot LRN, as that's what seems to be causing the problem. If you install Theme Selva now, it will by default install dot LRN!!!!

I noticed there's various levels of themes availabel hidden. Apart from theme selva there also a them art deco, but ist's no where to to be find as an option by default. I came accross it last year and it displays a lovely calendar on the weblog. Other than that I have never been able to retrieve it. It would be great to have the skin/theme issue sorted out and made available to end users ( is admins)via a switch parameter.

One thing I would like to see is a community design competion for skins. Giancarlo did some fine work in this respect, but his contributions are not to be found.

Right now we have:

- Selva
- Art Deco
- Giancalo ??????

Zen Gardens got started with a simple goal like this, so I don't see why we can't aswell.

Good luck

Ben