Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Extend Forums to suport Email List archives

Collapse
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
I recently stumbled across one little known web email list archive tool which doesn't totally stuck, ezmlm-browse (search on google). It has various flaws, e.g., no full-text search, and its UI features seem confusingly inconsistent. But, shockingly, it actually has a link to see all messages by a particular user. OpenACS/ACS has had that obvious feature since 1996 or so, Google Groups (the former DejaNews) has it, and now ezmlm-browse. So that's (only) three I'm aware of.

Another feature a good mailing list archive should have is a button to say, "Please forward me a copy of this particular email." (Of course you must be required to login under SSL and have an authenticated email address in order to use that feature.) I've never yet seen an archive with that.

Collapse
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
Hah, I just now noticed that this very forum has a "Forward" link, which comes very close to my idea of how a "Forward me this email please" button should work. (The only obvious flaw I see is that it only lets you forward a single message, not a a whole thread or selections from a thread. And it should fill in your own email address by default.)

Clearly a new feature the got rolled out in the recent openacs.org upgrade. Whoever implemented that, kudos to you, it's nice.