Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: dotLRN class attendance

Collapse
Posted by Al Guyer on
Hello,

Hamilton, Thank you for working on attendance! First off, just so you know, this is a development server. I am the only user, I am still in the process of researching whether dotLRN/OpenACS will work for my organization(s). So, I plan to fix the problems I ran in to below, by just wiping the server and starting over. Which, is currently perfectly acceptable. Eventually, though, once I go into production, that will definately NOT be acceptable! So, my questions are merely fact finding on how an administrator such as myself should have properly managed an update. Here goes:

In applying the update, I thought it would be best to uninstall attendance, and then re-install it. That was probably the wrong approach... Upon attempting to un-install,
I received this error:

Database operation "0or1row" failed (exception NSDB, "Query was not a statement returning rows.")

ERROR: cr_fldr_pkg_id_fk referential integrity violation - key in apm_packages still referenced from cr_folders

SQL:
select apm_package__delete('2801');

Which makes sense because attendance, and dotlrn-attendance were added to a class under "mangage applets" in the class control panel. The server is now kinda wedged though... The APM thinks the packages are installed. (I also tried to un-install dotlrn-attendance, and received the same type of error) but they no longer show up under "Manage Applets" for the class, but the applets are apparently bound to a class, so I can't un-install them.

This behavior all makes sense, having to due with referential integrity in the DB and all. But, as an administrator, if this were actually a live, production site, I'd be in a world of hurt.

It doesn't appear to be a way to remove attendance, dotLRN-attendance, or really, any managed applet from a class. In fact, they say "(cannot be removed)".

Is this a dotLRN or OpenACS design issue, or is it just my level of knowledge in the product?

As always, I really apprecitate the work done, and the help received from this community. Thanks in advance for your input,

-al