Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Announcement: New webmail package for OpenACS/dotLRN

Helo Nima,

Did you commit (or still have) changes you made in Ayman Mohamed original webmail-system code?

Last weekend i was working with that code and i could set up the webmail-system package in our installation at http://www.teknedigital.com.br/webmail/

It worked well and we at Tekne are thinking in continue developments to provide webmail package to OpenACS community. Until now we were working with squirrelmail and despite it woks well with Aolserver i'm not big fan of this solution because it prevents us to issue datamodel integration and use a single templating system.

We are testing webmail-system with bincimap imap server (http://www.bincimap.org). Bincimap is s a Maildir only IMAP server an can be used concurrently with any other POP or IMAP servers or other mailbox accessors. It provides pluggable auth modules through the checkpassword interface so we can authenticate e-mail users with vpopmail.

Malte, what the vpopmail admin status? Did you wrote this code? Could we try it?

Orzenil,

I found my package but when by server broke down I lost the database schema and since no create.sql exists the package now installs but all pages are broken.

Let me look where I backup it. I will commit that to cvs asap.

Greetings,
Nima

Oh, and yes I did many changes as you can see at the top of this thread.
Not sure about vpopmail. To be honest it must be some time ago as I can't remember off hand what you are talking about, so probably I'm not able to give you an answer in the first place.

As for the webmail package, great idea! You might want to integrate it with the mail-tracking package so we have a folder for send items that refers to the mailtracking package or alternatively have mailtracking use your IMAP folder instead.

This would be especially great if we could interface it with any IMAP server, so we could get rid of the need to forward an external mail to the mail-tracking package so we can access this mails information in the project.

Here is the szenario (for our CRM/Project Management installations):

Client sends an order via e-mail. A project is created in OpenACS and during the creation of the project an IMAP folder is created to be able to store the e-mail. Then the user moves the e-mail using Outlook to the imap folder. The mail-tracking system is able to find that e-mail in the folder and displays it in a mail-tracking portlet. Once you click on the link for the e-mail, the webmail package will open and display the e-mail from the imap folder.

We could probably get our client to fund the integrational part if the rest (decent webmail system, good installation instructions) are in place already.

Malte,

About vpopmail admin interface i was refering Matthew Geddert (not Malte) post in this thread (http://www.openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=200533) not you. I´m sorry. It was my mistake 😟

Yes. Integrate webmail with Project-manager is part of our concerns and in fact the efforts to get webmail-system working over bincimap are related with scenario you describe. We already provide pop accounts using virtual users/virtual domains administered with vpopmail and now we can use this same folder structure and authentication over imap concurrently. Also bincimap plays nice with qmail. I am not sure about how this email infrastructure scales but Patrick Giagnocavo from Zill.net told me about Dovecot (www.dovecot.org) so i will take a look at it too.

I am playing now with project-manager/invoices/tasks/mail-tracking from CVS HEAD and i think i could evaluate efforts at Tekne to realize scenario you describe.

\Orzenil

Great, Nima! Thank you for your time trying to rescue it.