Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Problem with sending out the email-address-verification email for new users (needs a package; exploring.)

I've committed a change that avoids that potential errors from smtp::sendmail can be swallowed silently from higher calling levels. bumped as well the version numbers, such that tomorrow one can get this change via "install from repository". I hope, this improves the situation.
Gustaf, I have another suggestion for a commit to acs-mail-lite, and it depends on your read of the tcllib smtp::sendmessage. The question being: if one provides username and password, does smtp::sendmessage know to use authenticated smtp, and (main point is) if one does -not- provide these, does it use the original unathenticated protocol?

If so... I have a suggestion, and I'll post it a bit later, meanwhile I'm going to test a coupla more times.

-Jim

I finally got success by providing -servers {a.smart.host} to smtp::sendmessage. This solution completely bypasses using the virtual server machine (aka localhost), and instead uses a machine nearby.

Initial test on my changes to acs_mail_lite::sendimmediately show it needs more work. On that now, results coming soon.

-Jim

After setting the smarthost parameter, acs_mail_lite::send_immediately works too, and with my to-be-proposed changes. One more test...

-Jim

I wanted to change how it's decided whether to use smtp auth or not, so I added code that either adds the smtp password and username, or does not add them, depending on whether the user and password are set in the acs-mail-lite parameters.

The diff:

--- cut here ---
diff -Naur /home/mu-new/openacs-5.8.0/packages/acs-mail-lite//tcl/acs-mail-lite-procs.tcl acs-mail-lite//tcl/acs-mail-lite-procs.tcl
--- /home/mu-new/openacs-5.8.0/packages/acs-mail-lite//tcl/acs-mail-lite-procs.tcl      2013-08-29 02:53:44.000000000 +0400
+++ acs-mail-lite//tcl/acs-mail-lite-procs.tcl  2014-04-04 14:38:06.000000000 +0400
@@ -141,7 +141,16 @@
        foreach header $headers {
            append cmd_string " -header {$header}"
        }
-        append cmd_string " -servers $smtp -ports $smtpport -username $smtpuser -password $smtppassword"
+        append cmd_string " -servers $smtp -ports $smtpport"
+
+      set smtppass_p [expr {$smtppassword ne ""}]
+      set smtpuser_p [expr {$smtpuser ne ""}]
+
+      # change the condition as you like: right now, both user and pass must be set to use auth.
+      if { $smtpuser_p && $smtppass_p } {
+          append cmd_string " -username $smtpuser -password $smtppassword"
+      }
+
        ns_log Debug "send cmd_string: $cmd_string"
        eval $cmd_string
    }
--- cut here ---

-Jim

When looking a little closer, I noticed a problem:

When the user fills out the registration form and clicks OK, the system sends the registration email, which the new user receives. But, (when the user clicks OK on the reg form) it still shows a blank page entitled Account Closed. Everything else seems to be working, but the UI makes it seem it got stuck or something's wrong.

When the user receives the verification email, it contains the link, which verifies the user properly.

There's two cases... one, if the verification email used send_immediately, I guess it's not reporting an error to the caller.

If the verification email is queued, two things one, how is the user informed that s/he needs to check their email? and two, how would the system know whether an error occured in sending the mail?

I altered my copy of acs_mail_lite::sent_immediately, maybe something I did caused this problem. I'll attach my code to the next message so you can see and comment.

-Jim

To clarify further, what should happen after the new user clicks OK on the registration form, is the user should be told to expect a verification email in the next few minutes, and the system is not showing a web page with that message.

Can anyone confirm that in openacs-5.8 it's having the user wait for the verification email?

-Jim