Forum .LRN Q&A: assessments

Collapse
Posted by Jon Griffin on
I have posted some serious bugs in assessment, but it appears that maybe no one is looking at the bug tracker.

I will try to fix them, but honestly the code is so convoluted that I may just write my own. I see no need to use the CR, well maybe one or two tables, and it seems that these pre calculated points etc don't need to be. Why store a total in a field that really should be calculated on the fly.

Anyway, the bugs are there and I need to finish this semester so I will continue to post bugs and see what happens.

Collapse
2: Re: assessments (response to 1)
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Jon

Have you tried Survey? Its alot simpler and doesn't use the CR.

Collapse
3: Re: assessments (response to 1)
Posted by Jon Griffin on
Does survey auto tally results and scores?
I guess I will check,

the big problem is that it appears that things fail silently.

1. I imported an assessment, it says all imported fine. When you open it, it errors because creator_id is not set.
Fix that and points for the assessment are set to # of answers etc.

2. /asm-admin/results-edit if you edit results, you get :

yntax error in expression "round(100 *  / 100)": unexpected operator /
    while executing
"expr round(100 * $section_points / $section_max_points)"
    (procedure "as::assessment::calculate" line 13)
    invoked from within
"as::assessment::calculate -assessment_id $assessment_rev_id -session_id $session_id"
    ("uplevel" body line 5)
    invoked from within
"uplevel 1 $transaction_code "
    (procedure "db_transaction" line 1)
This is because all the fields aren't populating correctly but no errors are thrown. Instead of storing calculated fields, they should really be calculated.

3. asm-admin/results-session?session%5fid=19088
doesn't calculate the correct answers, it always shows 0 points. i.e. SECTION Hops (0 / 100 points)
which of course leads to results-users?assessment_id not showing points.

I am trying to grasp the huge tangle of code, but it seems very fragile. Unfortunatly, I don't think I can reinstall because this is a live setup for this semester, I will manually manipulate the db until summer.

Collapse
4: Re: assessments (response to 1)
Posted by Jon Griffin on
OK, I fixed a major problem with results.
The asm-admin/results-edit.tcl is sending the wrong assessment_id to the calculate procs.

db_1row find_assessment {} gets the correct assessment_rev_id,

but

as::assessment::data -assessment_id $assessment_id
set assessment_rev_id $assessment_data(assessment_rev_id)

sets the wrong assesment_rev_id.

I will upload a patch after someone else checks it.

Collapse
5: Re: assessments (response to 1)
Posted by Abelardo Pardo on
Jon

We (Carlos III University of Madrid) were heavily involved in the development of assessment and will take a look at the errors you mentioned.

Collapse
6: Re: assessments (response to 1)
Posted by Jon Griffin on
I am slowly fixing bugs as I have time. The one above should be fixed as I have used it for 2 classes and 6 assessments.

I could update cvs, but I am not the maintainer and don't want to step on toes. There are some other quirks, like random multiple choice answers not grading correctly all the time, that I am also looking at.

Import from qti is a big issue as it appears that two classes on different days can't see each others questions/sections to make a new assessment, therefore to keep questions the same, I had to export/import and that has some pretty big bugs (i.e. a professor couldn't do this by himself, luckily I am also one of the profs so I fixed it for everyone.)

If you want me to start commiting fixes I will.

Collapse
7: Re: assessments (response to 6)
Posted by Eduardo Pérez on
If you want to commit any fix, just do it. I'll take a look at the CVS logs and if I know the fix is not correct I'll let you know.
You can also forward me the patches and I'll commit them if they seem OK.