Forum OpenACS Development: invalid command name "ns_adp_registerscript" AOLserver 4.0.10 Tcl 8.5

invalid command name "ns_adp_registerscript"
while executing
"ns_adp_registerscript ad-document "/ad-document" doc_tag_ad_document"
(file "/var/lib/aolserver/taxonomy/packages/acs-tcl/tcl/document-init.tcl" line 11)
invoked from within
"source $__file "

This error occurs on OpenACS 5.8.0 that I am trying to upgrade. I am running AOLserver 4.0.10 compiled with Tcl 8.5 since I am trying to reduce the number of changes at once.

I don't understand why only this procedure is missing.

The problem is apparently with AOLserver 4.0.10. The name of the command was changed from "ns_register_adptag" to "ns_adp_registerscript" between AOLserver 4.0.10 and AOLserver 4.5.0 because the former was misleading and the "adp" was at the wrong place. Newer versions of OpenACS use the more recent command name.

AOLserver 4.5.0 was released in 2006 (more than 8 years ago). I would recommend to upgrade to AOLserver 4.5 or better, to a recent version of NaviServer, this will improve stability, performance and security.

One could certainly change the few occurrences of the commands to their former names, but the likelyhood that something else pops up with the old server is larger than 0.

Thanks! That is what I figured. Should the compatibility matrix be updated to reflect that?

Thanks
Dave

i've updated it this morning.