Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Towards OpenACS 5.9

Collapse
17: Re: Towards OpenACS 5.9 (response to 16)
Posted by Antonio Pisano on
Regarding point 2, I think we can agree on the fact that losing support for something is bad, but as Don Baccus pointed in the first place: who will do the job?

Gustaf and his team are the only people I know actively developing on the core of the platform, they have their own schedule and agenda and simply don't need to support Oracle. The fact that this is still "kinda being done" is an extra.

Companies moaning about drop of support should enter the field if they really care about it, at least trying to keep their systems up to date. Seems like this is far from being done.

About point 2, maybe there are platform built with mobile in mind from the start, but I really think this is just a matter of web design. Could you please prove me wrong by pointing me to a platform that achieves good mobile experience without "cheating" as you said? I mean without JS on the frontend and some kind of backend.

Collapse
18: Re: Towards OpenACS 5.9 (response to 17)
Posted by Maurizio Martignano on
Oracle:
1. all my Windows-OpenACS distributions have a working nsoracle. I have done this work mostly for Quest.
The code is given back to the community as sources are part of my distribution. I am afraid that very few people do compile aolserver and/or naviserver code on Windows and in there nsoracle (as it is at the moment) does not even compile...

Mobile-Friendly Test Compatibility:
There's no need super duper things like Angular.js or Ember.js or Sencha or whatever... a plain WordPress site would pass the test (as you said it is just a matter of HTML and CSS). Anyhow it seems to me that, at least as far as I know, no OpenACS based website passes that test...

Collapse
20: Re: Towards OpenACS 5.9 (response to 18)
Posted by Benjamin Brink on
re: Mobile-Friendly test Compatibility: Does http://xdcpm.org pass? I think it does..
Collapse
21: Re: Towards OpenACS 5.9 (response to 20)
Posted by Benjamin Brink on
er.. using b-responsive-theme
Collapse
25: Re: Towards OpenACS 5.9 (response to 17)
Posted by Neophytos Demetriou on
Regarding point 2, I think we can agree on the fact that losing support for something is bad, but as Don Baccus pointed in the first place: who will do the job? [...] Companies should enter the field if they really care about it, at least trying to keep their systems up to date. Seems like this is far from being done.

I haven't been around for quite some time as I was building my own stuff due to the particularities of my situation for many years (including lack of any funding), however, Antonio has raised an interesting point in the sense that without support from companies who are presumably better off than others to contribute resources there's not going to be much interest to continue supporting Oracle. The other side of the story has to be about making it possible for those companies to help.

Gustaf and his team are the only people I know actively developing on the core of the platform, they have their own schedule and agenda and simply don't need to support Oracle. The fact that this is still "kinda being done" is an extra.

To be fair, let me say in advance that Gustaf and his team have been consistent in their support of OpenACS and NaviServer over the years. The problem is that we find ourselves in a situation where other people also have their own schedule and agenda that does not seem to bode very well with the status quo (for many years now).

There's no doubt in my mind that the situation has to change. I must say that I have tried to discuss this with Gustaf when I was about to release my code in github and we have come up with some ideas but the problem seems to be much broader than that.

It is not enough to just want things to change. We should be ready to change as well, all of us. And, usually people do that by making concessions. Without concessions, we'll remain in this situation and, quite possibly, end up parting ways for good next time, in other words we all lose.