Forum OpenACS Development: dotlrn dependencies in search package

Why are there dotlrn dependencies in the search package? Who was responsible for putting these dependencies in the search package?

I have found a couple of dotlrn calls in search/www/search.tcl

Collapse
Posted by Nick Carroll on
These dependencies break the search package when it is installed on its own, or without dotlrn. Yes, some people like to use openacs without dotlrn installed.
Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Hi nick,

Did you find this on HEAD? There shouldn't be any .LRN stuff on oacs-5-2.

That stuff needs to be extracted out because .LRN has some really different expectations on who can see what objects.

Collapse
Hey Dave,

The dotlrn dependencies are in the HEAD version of the search package. They were added about 6 months ago. Can we just revert back to the previous file versions? Or are there things in the code that should be there for the version in HEAD?

Cheers,
Nick.

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Nick,

FOr now, I'd suggest using the fully tested serch package on oacs-5-2 branch. I'll be fixing the version in HEAD. HEAD means, in progress, broken, experimental. There are new features that should be very useful in the HEAD version that are being tested for a specific client right now. I'll try to spend a day fixing the HEAD version, I doubt it actually works on PostgreSQL at the moment without the dotlrn code.

Collapse
OK. I think my problem is that I'm too lazy to add "-r oacs-5-2" to my cvs checkouts. :P Anyway I was having a good run with the code in HEAD.

I had a go at trying to fix the code in the search package, but there was obviously code there that I did not know what to do with. Perhaps a service contract needs to be created to check the permissions/priveleges on the object before displaying it? Other packages can then implement that service contract to hide certain objects.

Cheers,
Nick.

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Nick,

You have the right general idea, but we will implement the optional features, ie: dotlrn integration, as callbacks, not service contracts. You can already see the support for callbacks in the other search operations.