Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Mentorship Program : RFC

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Ryan,

Is it possible you could give a little more background on your proposals. I don't mind that they are hosted off site, but someting to give me an idea what I will see when I click on the link would be helpful.

In general I use search as my memory, so a paragraph explaining where that link goes would be great!

(Sometimes I used openacs.org search, which generally gets me what I want, but not always. Also I get openacs.org email in gmail, so I use that to search forums posts sometimes as well.)

Collapse
Posted by Ryan Gallimore on
I'd be happy to provide more information related to the Mentorship Program I have in mind.

By leveraging the experience of key developers in a way that will not be too onerous, I think we can enhance the new user experience to not only create renewed interest in the toolkit, but also to actually get some useful code put back into the community. Students will learn, but so will mentors.

With your feedback I will post my ideas on curriculum in the coming days.

Cheers.

Collapse
17: Mentorship Program Status (response to 6)
Posted by Ryan Gallimore on
The Mentorship Program is coming along... we now have 5 mentors and 5 students. I am in the process of pairing people up. Please apply to be a mentor or student by filling out the approriate survey.

As these mentorships get rolling, I would like to start developing a curriculum for new developers. What do mentors, students and the community think students need to know to start learning OpenACS? Should we demand prerequisites?

I've also posted to the Wiki a description of the program and its status.

Cheers.

Collapse
Posted by Jim Lynch on
demand? no, I don't think so...

suggest? definitely (and this would include trying to support everything aduni.org did)

provide (or try to)? absolutely. each aduni course can have a wiki page and a q&a forum.