Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Re: Mentorship Program

Collapse
8: Re: Re: Mentorship Program (response to 7)
Posted by Ryan Gallimore on
I agree completely, Dave. And I cast absolutely no aspersions on the help you and other experienced developers have given me and many others. I think someone to connect mentors with new developers is really necessary. Forum help is great. IRC help is great. But think of what new developers could accomplish if they had some direction from a semi-formal program. It's kind of like the difference between learning independently and going to school. The former is good, but, imo, the latter is best.

Mentors would suggest and guide new users in their projects according to their interests, supported by a developing body of helpful documentation, hints, suggestions, wikis, and examples.

I've also, as I said, setup a VPS hosting solution to allow novices to work even if they don't have a development server of their own. It would have these characteristics.

I'd also like to create more documentation aimed at the novice user (and client site admin). There is a very good presentation program called Wink that makes it easy to create flash presentations out of screenshots.

I'll be developing the program, with input, in the coming weeks.

Cheers.

Collapse
This is an open call to the community for mentors and new users who want to participate in the Mentorship Program.

Please post here or e-mail me if you are interested.

Cheers.

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
I'll participate in the Mentorship Program (I think I will participate as a mentor...)
Collapse
Posted by Vinod Kurup on
Hi Ryan,

I'd be interested in offering what little mentorship I can offer :)

Vinod

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
I participate as a mentor as well. Bring it on 😊
Collapse
Excellent. We have our first three mentors. Thanks for volunteering! If you can fill out this quick survey, I can try to place you with a suitable student.

http://demo.viscousmedia.com/oacs-mentorship/survey/

Cheers.

Collapse
14: Student Entry Form (response to 13)
Aspiring Students - please fill out the entry form at the link below to participate in the Mentorship program:

http://demo.viscousmedia.com/oacs-mentorship/survey/

Cheers.

Collapse
We now have five mentors signed up! So far, three students have enrolled. New developers, please sign up here to be placed with one of our mentors.

Read more about the OpenACS Mentorship Program

I'm aiming for a June 5th start date.

Thanks to all five mentors who have volunteered their time and expertise.

Cheers.

Collapse
Posted by Iuri Sampaio on
well since Dave Bauer "think" he will be a mentor, i guess I strongly believe i'm a new user :)
I'm very interested on it. I'm in!!