Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Intranet ported?

Collapse
Posted by Tapiwa Sibanda on
Hi Caroline I am aware that dotLRN does support communities (classes?) that are active for a temporary amount of time. A couple of things though..

My post was merely suggesting that instead of getting rid of classes, as Rafael has initially suggested, we keep them and use them for temporary communities. IIRC normal communities (clubs?) do not have "terms". For example, while you can have a PHY101 class, the fall, and summer semesters would have different subsites. On the other hand, the Football Club subsite continues across semesters.

I have not looked at the dotLRN code, and my last install was a couple of months ago, but in this thread, DonB mentions that "there is hardwiring (of classes and clubs) in parts of the code"

I quite like your idea of a "dotWRK distribution". The way I see things, the dots, (dotWRK, dotLRN, dotSELL?) should be distributions. While the main development goes on in the core, and in the packages, the distros would provide package suited to a particular task, from intranet, to online store.