Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Different look of every instance of given package

Hi Don,

Yup bebop is a real pain... Its like programming a VB app without Visual Studio.

But there are benefits. Bebop is more than XSL. What I am proposing above is to just use standardize agreed XHTML not beboptize OACS. With it CSS will work on all sites. Since all packages output the same html. Its easy to do regexp and tcl processing on consistent and standard html.

I will make a proposal spec that will include:

1. Sample HTML that we can all agree on. Much like that I have posted above.

2. helper...Tcl procs definition. A sample will be a proc that will take a HTML table of datarows that I have posted above into an array of lists. That way we can easily manipulate the data if needed in tcl. Like removing/rearranging a column of bboard in a particular instance. This way bboard does not care what HTML is should display for each instance. Its up to the tcl or xsl template to bother about that.

3. Maybe a sample working demo. Of course no xsl on this. I will wait for what Neophytos will come up with.

So there is no black magic to the proposal just plain XHTML that is standard and consistent accross the whole system. Atleast the goal is to make CSS to work on all packages. Since its standard its very easy to process it in tcl. Since XHTML is XML, why not throw in XSLT as well.

Anyway I will try to put a simple proposal doc.